Recipe: Steak sandwich with Cajun wedges
By Edward Hayden
You will need
For the Cajun potato wedges
6 large rooster potatoes, well washed and dried
1 dsp Cajun spice
1 tbsp oil
For the sandwich
4 large baguettes
2 tbsp sweet chilli mayonnaise
Mixed lettuce leaves
4 tbsp red onion marmalade
4 thinly cut striploin steaks
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5. Wash some rooster potatoes and cut into chunky wedges. Drizzle with the oil and Cajun spice.
2. Mix them all together in a bowl and place on a baking tray lined with parchment.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until crispy on the outside and well cooked through to the centre.
3. Heat a large pan with a little oil and quickly fry the steaks on either side for 2-3 minutes until just cooked to your liking (see below).
4. Meanwhile split the baguette horizontally and place under the grill to lightly brown. When browned, spread with some of the sweet chilli mayonnaise. Neatly arrange some lettuce leaves and sliced tomatoes on the bread, top with the pan seared steak and then add a dollop of the red onion marmalade or even some fried onions.
5. Cover with the other piece of bread, cut into portions and serve with some of the Cajun potato wedges
Perfect cooking instructions for steak:
Rare – 2 minutes on either side
Medium – 4 minutes on either side
Well done – 5 minutes on either side