Recipe: Victoria sponge with strawberries
By Edward Hayden
You will need
225g/8oz caster sugar
4 large eggs
225g/8oz self raising flour (or plain flour with 1 tsp of baking powder)
For the filling
3 tablespoons raspberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Soften the butter and beat in a large mixing bowl with the sugar.
2. When this mixture is creamy and fluffy add in the eggs and the flour. If you find the mixture is a little tight you can add a dsp of milk to loosen it up.
3. Divide the mixture between two 20 cm/8 inch greased sandwich tins
Bake for up to 20-25 minute or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
4. Fill the centre of the cake with raspberry jam, freshly whipped cream and sliced strawberries.
5. Sieve some icing sugar on the top and decorate with additional strawberries