Recipe: Banana pavlova
By Edward Hayden
Time 1hr 30 mins
You will need
3 large egg whites
175g/6oz demerara sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cornflour
½ tsp vinegar
1 pot of freshly whipped cream
2 sliced bananas
Grated chocolate flake bar
1. Preheat the oven to 130C/250F/Gas Mark ½. Choose a large spotlessly clean mixing bowl.
2. Put the egg whites into the mixing bowl and beat them vigorously until they are stiffly beaten. If you were to turn the bowl upside down the eggs would not come out of the bowl and this is a good indication of the different stages that can be achieved. Be careful if case they do come out of the bowl.
3. Reduce the speed of the mixer and add the sugar bit by bit until it is all incorporated. It is important to beat well between each addition of sugar.
4. At this stage you need to turn off the mixer and add in the vanilla extract, cornflour and vinegar and then return the mixer to full speed for 50-60 seconds.
5. Using a piping bag pipe the meringue mixture into 1 large shell onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
6. Place in the oven and after 15 minutes reduce the heat to 110C/225F/Gas Mark ¼ for a further 45 minutes or until the edge of the meringue feels crisp to the touch but the centre will still be quite soft.
7. Allow to cool completely (preferably overnight) and then fill the shell with sliced bananas, cover with freshly whipped cream and thinly sliced bananas and halved strawberries. Crumble some chocolate flake on top.