Recipe: Floating islands
By Edward Hayden
Time 1hr 10 min
You will need
For the pavlova
4 egg whites
225g/8oz caster sugar
½ tsp of Cornflour
½ tsp of vanilla essence
½ tsp of white wine vinegar
For the berry compote
450g/1lb fresh/frozen mixed berries
150g/5oz caster sugar
1 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 120˚C/240˚F/Gas mark ½. Put the egg whites into a spotlessly clean mixing bowl of a kitchen aid and beat on full speed until quite stiffly beaten.
2. Turn the speed of the mixer down and slowly add the sugar-adding just a little at a time.
3. When all the sugar has been incorporated, add the vanilla essence, cornflour and vinegar and give one final whisk on high speed.
4. When ready the mixture should be glossy and when the bowl is turned upside down the mixture should remain stationary in the bowl.
5. Meanwhile prepare your tin. Line an oblong baking tray (13 x 9 inches) with parchment paper Using two tablespoons mould the meringue into quenelles and place them carefully on the prepared baking trays.
6. Bake in the oven for 1 hour until the meringue mixture is very firm to touch but still soft on the middle. I normally leave mine to cool in the oven with the door ajar.
7. For the compote add the berries, sugar and water to a heavy bottomed pan. Bring to the boil for 3-4 minutes then allow to cool completely.