Recipe: Slow roasted pork chops
By Edward Hayden
Time 30 mins
You will need
For the pork chops
6 pork chops
2 apples, cut into wedges
3-4 sprigs thyme
50ml/2fl oz well flavoured chicken stock
Mushroom cream Sauce
400ml/14fl oz milk
75ml/3fl oz cream
110g/4oz mixed mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 170˚C/375˚F/Gas Mark 3. Heat a large pan with a little oil. Season the pork chops lightly with a little salt and pepper.
2. Pan fry the pork chops on each side for 3-4 minutes until they are golden brown, add the apple wedges and brown these for a moment or two and then pour on the chicken stock and the thyme sprigs. Transfer to the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
3. Put the milk and cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Melt the butter slowly in another small saucepan. Add in the sliced mushrooms and cook gently until they are softened.
4. Add in the flour and mix until combined. Cook this mixture on a low heat for two minutes to take the taste of the flour away. Gradually stir in the boiling milk and cream mixture, and continue to stir, especially around the edges, until it comes to the boil again and then turn the heat right down and cook on a low heat for 10-15 minutes. Add in the chopped parsley just before serving.
5. Serve the pork chops with some delicious mushroom cream sauce and some honey roasted vegetables.