Recipe: Homemade vegetable soup
By Edward Hayden
You will need:
1 sweet potato
4 medium carrots
2 sticks of celery
1 medium leek
½ medium sized onion
1 inch root ginger, chopped (optional)
2 cloves of garlic
2 large sprigs of thyme
1200ml/2 pints vegetable stock
75ml/3fl oz cream
1. Peel and chop the sweet potato and carrots and add them to the chopped celery, leek, onion, ginger and garlic in a large bowl.
2. Heat a large saucepan with a little oil and toss in all of the vegetables together with the thyme sprigs. Allow them to cook very gently (and without colour) for 8-10 minutes or until the smaller of the vegetables are glazed off.
3. Next add in approximately 2/3 of the vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a slow boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes or until all of the vegetables have softened down completely.
4. Using a hand blitzer, blitz the soup until it is nice and smooth. Mix in the cream at this stage and return to the heat and bring back to a very gentle boil.
If you would like a thinner soup, now would be the best time to add some additional stock to thin it down. Correct the seasoning at this stage also.
5. Pour the soup into a warmed flask or alternatively allow the soup to cool down and then transfer it into suitable containers and freeze until required.