Recipes: Parmesan crusted chicken breasts
By Edward Hayden
You will need
For the chicken
6 chicken breasts
50g/1¾oz plain flour, seasoned
1 egg beaten with 50ml/2floz milk
175g/6oz fresh white breadcrumbs
1 tbsp grated parmesan
Pinch chilli flakes
For the roasted rotatoes
12-16 baby potatoes
4 cloves garlic, cut into large chunks
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
A little oil for cooking
For the mushroom and spring onion sauce
200g/7oz mixed mushrooms
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp plain flour
250ml/9floz pouring cream
1 tbsp snipped chives
1 bunch scallions/spring onions, chopped
1. Prepare three bowls one seasoned flour one with the egg and milk whisked together and the third with the breadcrumbs, grated parmesan and chilli flakes.
3. Coat the chicken breasts in the flour first, then transfer to the egg wash mixture and finally toss the egg coated chops in the breadcrumbs mixture and make sure they are completely coated.
4. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4. Line a flat baking tray with a little baking parchment. Heat a large pan with a little oil. Pan fry the coated chicken breasts for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and then transfer to the lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for a further 20-25 minutes until cooked through.
5. Cut the baby potatoes in half. Line a flat baking tray with some parchment paper and put the potatoes onto the tray with the chopped garlic and some broken rosemary sprigs. Season with a little salt and pepper. Drizzle with a little oil, mix well and roast in the oven for approximately 30 minutes until cooked through.
6. When ready to serve quickly make up the sauce. Heat a deep based pan with a little butter and then add the crushed garlic, sliced shallots and mushrooms. Cook gently until they are all softened down and then sprinkle with the flour.
7. Next pour in the cream and allow the entire mixture to come to the boil. Continue to simmer for approximately 5-10 minutes and then season as required. Scatter in the snipped chives and the spring onions and serve immediately.
6. Serve the chicken and sauce with a large green salad and some of the roasted baby potatoes and perhaps a spoonful of sweet chilli sauce or your favourite chutney.