Recipe: Mediterranean style pork chops
You will need:
6 pork chops (200g/7oz each)
1 yellow pepper
1 red onion
6-8 button mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 glass of white wine
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper/smoked paprika
2 large eating apples
50g/1¾oz dried apricots
75ml/3fl oz cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4. Thinly slice all of the vegetables into evenly sized pieces.
2. Heat a large frying pan with a little butter and oil. Pan fry the chops on either side for 2-3 minutes until they have obtained a nice golden brown colour. Remove the chops from the pan and transfer to a casserole dish.
3. Meanwhile add another drizzle of oil to the pan and all the yellow pepper, courgette, red onion, sliced mushrooms and carrots to the pan with the four cloves of crushed garlic and sauté gently for 4-5 minutes or until they have begun to soften. Next add in the glass of white wine and allow that to bubble up before adding the tins of chopped tomatoes.
4. Mix in the chopped tomatoes (I normally wash the cans out with a little water and add this to the pot also) and then add the cayenne pepper and pouring cream and mix this well. Season the mixture at this stage and allow it to come to the boil.
5. Once the mixture has come to the boil pour it over the pork chops in the casserole dish and cook in the oven for a further 30-40 minutes until the sauce is nicely reduced alongside the cooked pork. Serve immediately with creamy potatoes or softly boiled basmati rice.