Recipe: Beef and sweet chilli tartlets
By Edward Hayden
You will need
1 pack shop bought filo pastry, naturally defrosted
110g/4oz butter, melted
350g/12oz fillet beef, diced into small cubes
6 mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 red pepper, diced into small pieces
1 courgette, diced into small pieces
1 medium sized onion, diced into small pieces
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp crème fraiche
1. Preheat the oven to 190˚C/375˚F/Gas Mark 5. Begin by making the tartlet shells. Grease two 12 cup bun tins lightly. Cut the filo pastry into squares (approximately 4 x 4 inches). Lightly brush each piece of the filo pastry with a little melted butter and then sandwich three pieces of the pastry together, slightly overlapping the alternative layers and brush them into the lined bun tins, tidying the ruffles of the pastry neatly around each hole in the bun tin.
2. Repeat until all the tins are lined and then transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the pastry is crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down, and once cool place the pastry shells onto a large serving platter.
3. Meanwhile heat a large pan with a little oil and add in the beef and allow to cook quickly for 2-3 minutes before adding the sliced mushrooms, diced pepper, courgette and onion. Once you have added the vegetables, continue to cook on a high heat for a further 3-4 minutes to soften the vegetables.
4. Next add in the sweet chilli sauce, season with a little salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Transfer the mixture into a medium sized bowl and allow it to cool down.
5. When the mixture is cool divide it between the crisp filo pastry shells and top with a little crème fraiche and fresh coriander.