Recipe: Marble cake
By Edward Hayden
Time 1 hour
You will need
225g/8oz golden brown sugar
225g/8oz self raising flour
75g/3oz dark chocolate
For the topping
50g/2oz dark chocolate
50g/2oz white chocolate
1. Lightly grease and line an 11x7 deep cake tin. Preheat the oven to 170˚C/325˚F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
Sift in the self raining flour. Add in the eggs and the sifted flour and mix until completely combined. Divide the mixture in half.
3. Melt the dark chocolate and mix the dark chocolate into one half of the mixture.
Spoon the plain mixture into the tin (leaving space for some dark to go in beside it)
When you have used the entire plain mixture spoon in the dark chocolate mixture. Level the mixture roughly with a spoon.
4. Take a sharp knife and put it into the cake mixture and push it back and forward to create a marbled effect in the cake.
5. Transfer the cake to the preheated oven and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool and then remove the cake from the tin and coat the top of the cake with some drizzles of melted dark and white chocolate (melted separately). When the chocolate has set cut it into squares and serve.