MAKE: Edward Hayden’s Sweet Chilli Crab and Prawn Cocktail Toasts
Paired with: B Fruitiful Passionfruit with a touch of Pineapple, from the wine makers of Black Tower
Edward says: “This is a particular favourite canapé of mine to serve at a cocktail party or drinks reception. Feel free to make a larger version of this as a starter.”
You will need
For the croutons:
2 medium baguettes cut into slices (approx. 1 inch thick)
3 tablespoons oil
For the garnish:
225g fresh white crabmeat
16-24 cooked prawns
3 tablespoons crème fraiche/mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
Pinch cayenne pepper
Grated lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
2. Brush the sliced bread with a little oil and place onto a flat baking tray and transfer to the pre-heated oven. Cook for 10-12 minutes until they are crisp. Allow to cool down.
3. Pick through the crab meat to ensure that it has no traces of bone or shell in it.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the crème fraîche/mayonnaise with the sweet chilli sauce and the cayenne pepper.
5. Spread the croutons with a little of the chilli sauce mixture.
6. Divide the crab meat between the chilli covered croutons and then place a prawn on top of each and finish with an additional spoon of the sweet chilli crème fraîche mixture and then garnish with some grated lemon zest and a sprig of coriander.
Pair with: B Fruitiful Passionfruit with a touch of Pineapple
Tasting notes: B Fruitiful is an excellent combination of low alcohol benefits and exciting natural fruit flavours. The popular fruit combinations are well known to consumers. The flavour dosage is perfectly balanced and the real but light wine taste still prevails. Enjoy the contemporary white style with aromas of passion fruit and a touch of crisp grapefruit in the beautiful moments of life.
For more information see: www.black-tower.co.uk