Clear your space
Is the atmosphere in your home feeling stagnant, like the energy just isn’t flowing? Are you feeling lethargic and unmotivated or having trouble sleeping?
There’s an invisible life force that flows through every environment and when that energy moves freely, the space is filled with a vibrant, healthy vitality. But sometimes that flow gets blocked or becomes negative. Maybe you’ve brought stress home from your job or you’re having frequent negative thoughts or emotions? These can get imprinted in your space and accumulate to create what’s almost like invisible ‘clutter’ that slows down the energy and affects how you feel there. You can hire a professional space-clearer to transform your home, but there are things you can easily do to change the feel of the place. Here are ten simple ways to clear the energy of your space and bring joy and vitality back into your life.
1. Sound – Play your favourite music at top volume or walk through the space singing or ringing a bell. Or have a party! The sounds of laughter and happy voices are great at breaking up stuck or negative energy. Best not to use unpleasant sounds like clapping, shouting or banging because they create negative shock waves in the house.
2. Scent – Fill your home with scents that bring happy memories. Perhaps the smell of baking bread triggers warm childhood memories or fresh flowers instantly send you back to the excitement of the first time you got a romantic bouquet. Even just blabbing some perfume on your wrists can waft a beautiful scent as you move through the house.
3. Fire – Fire is a purifying force and it also stimulates the energy to start moving again. Light a fire or place candles in every room.
4. Movement – Dance around the house or do a vigorous workout to help break up stuck energy. Open the windows and let the curtains flap in the breeze. And if you have children, then you have built- in space-clearers. Just let them run and play throughout the house.
5. Light – Negative energy thrives in darkness, so open all the drapes and let the sunlight in. Or turn on all your lights and if any bulbs have burned out, now’s the time to replace them. Walk around your space to see if there are any spots that need a little brightening up.
6. Air – Many modern homes are so tightly sealed that little fresh air can get in and that creates stagnation. Even if it’s chilly outdoors, try opening a few windows to let fresh air fill the house for an hour or so. And speaking of air, how well are you breathing? When the energy in your space is stressed you breathe more shallowly. Remember to take some nice, deep breaths more often.
7. Meditation – How you feel also affects the energy of your home. If you’re having frequent self-defeating thoughts, this creates negativity in your space. Do a simple meditation – imagine your heart slowly filling with a golden, loving glow. Once your heart is full, let that light gradually flow throughout the rest of your body and then radiate outward to fill the room and then the whole house.
8. Furniture and objects – The artwork, furniture and mementos in your home all hold energy, good or bad. Are there any you’re keeping out of guilt or obligation? Place your hand on the ones you’re not sure about and tune in to how your body feels. If you feel good, keep it. If your energy plummets, let it go.
9. Animals – Animals naturally radiate vitality, so just living with animal friends can help keep your space clear. If you have a dog, notice where they tend to hang out because it’s probably a place of positive energy. If you have a cat who tends to sleep in a spot that’s not the warmest in the house, it may be an area of negative energy. Cats are attracted to those places and they help transmute the negativity.
10. Clutter clearing – I’m not going to insist you dive into clutter clearing. We vastly under-estimate how exhausting it is to sort through clutter. Each piece of paper, book or object holds energy that affects you on many levels. I suggest clearing out one drawer, box or stack of papers and then do no more for a week. Even that small change can create a huge breakthrough with the energy in your space.