20 Questions With… Jodie Prenger
Jodie Prenger will play Miss Hannigan in ANNIE the musical at the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre from July 9 – 20. Here the actress talks memories, secrets and what she can’t live without…
1. What is your first memory?
Oh gosh, my Aunty Olga teaching me to sing along with [Ottawan’s] D I S C O song. Us two wiggling along to it.
2. The last thing you think about before falling asleep is.
Are all the animals shut in properly? For anyone who has a farm, you will know what I mean.
3. Who is the most interesting person you've ever met?
Hmmm that’s a tough one, but I would have to say our dear Queen Elizabeth, as brief as it was. I wanted to ask her so many questions.
4. Have you ever been in love?
Yes. I’m a bit of a Mills and Boon-er, I’ve fallen in love so many times but it’s different when you meet ‘the one.’ I sound like a soppy sod but it’s true. Mind you, it does run neck in neck with my animals. If we were at sea I don’t know who I’d throw the life raft to first! [Laughs]
5. Who would be your ideal dinner guest?
Ru Paul... I could talk about Drag Race ‘till my cows come home.
6. Happiness is...
Shutting my gates, wiping the make-up off and snuggling up with my little troop (fella and animals) in front of the fire.
7. Who would play you in a film adaptation of your life?
I could ask Ru Paul after we’d had our dinner. I’ll cook up a splendid sticky toffee pudding. He can’t say no.
8. What could you not live without?
9. Tell us a secret.
I have strange hiccups; when I first meet people, they are rather freaked out by it. I’ve never been able to explain why... Strange but true.
10. Why are we here?
I don’t know but I’m over there.
11. What's your greatest vice?
I’m protective. Must be the northerner in me. Always sticking up for people and being too honest.
12. You are inspired by...
I’m always inspired by the people I get to work with on every show.
13. The song you're most likely to sing at karaoke is...
The Rose, but I can offer a mean Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme tune.
14. What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Chocolate. Dark orange flavour.
15. What is your happiest memory?
My Simon asking me to marry him. Poor sod, I thought, ‘Do you know what your letting yourself in for?’
16. Where is your favourite place in the whole world?
We both love Dublin. It’s where we fell in love. In fact, he asked to marry me on St Patrick’s Day.
17. The movie/s you could watch again and again is/are…
The Notebook, I cry every time and I mean sob.
18. What makes you angry?
Mean people. No need to be nasty. ‘It’s nice to be important, but it’s important to be nice,’ that’s what my Nan always said.
19. What would you like to be remembered for?
I’d like to know I had made people smile. That’s what life’s about, eh?
20. What are you working on right now?
I’m about to go into the UK tour of ANNIE. Then the National’s Theatre, A Taste of Honey production. We also have a podcast called Mishaps, currently our second series and working on a couple of writing projects. Keeping myself out of mischief, well just...
Jodie Prenger who play Miss Hannigan, in ANNIE the musical playing at Bord Gáis Energy Theatre from July 9 – 20. For more information see www.bordgaisenergytheatre.ie